Mysterious Chocolate Delight
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 1 3/4 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (6 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chips chocolate
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sliced natural almonds, plain or toasted (optional)
- 1/3 cup Smucker's® Seedless Red Raspberry Jam
- 4 ounces almond paste
- Fresh raspberries (optional)
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with flour no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- COMBINE flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- COMBINE sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla and almond extracts in bowl of electric mixer; beat at medium-high speed 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- ADD flour mixture alternately with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating at low, then medium-high speed after each addition until well blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 35 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF.
- BAKE an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from side of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- LOOSEN cake from side of pan with knife or metal spatula. Remove side of pan. Invert cake on wire rack. Remove bottom of pan using thin metal spatula or pancake turner. Cool completely.
- PLACE cake, top side up, on serving plate.
- COMBINE chocolate chips, shortening and corn syrup in a double boiler over hot but not boiling water; stir just until melted and smooth. Cool slightly.
- SPREAD jam on top of cooled cake. Roll almond paste into 9-inch circle between sheets of waxed paper. Remove top sheet. Invert almond paste over jam layer. Remove waxed paper.
- SPREAD glaze over almond paste and on sides of cake. Press almonds lightly into side of cake, if desired, before glaze hardens. Use tip of knife to draw lines diagonally across top of cake.
- DECORATE top of cake with raspberries, if desired. Allow glaze to set before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/9 of recipe), Calories 560 (Calories from Fat 250), Total Fat 27g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 77g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 51g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.