Oatmeal Cake With Brown Sugar Frosting
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup quick rolled oats
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 tablespoon Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat 9x9-inch pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE boiling water and oats in small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
- BEAT 1/3 cup shortening, 2/3 cup brown sugar, sugar, eggs and maple flavoring in medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- ADD oatmeal mixture, flour, baking soda and salt. Beat at low speed until blended, scraping bowl constantly. Beat at medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- COMBINE 1 tablespoon shortening, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and half-and-half in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm. Beat in powdered sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread on cooled cake.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 260 (Calories from Fat 70), Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 150mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 31g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.