Peanut Butter Boston Cream Cake
Mary Beth Mandola, Houston, TX, Bake-Off® Contest 45, 2012 Finalist
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Cook Time: 28 min
- Ready Time: 165 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Simply Jif® Creamy Peanut Butter
- Crisco® Butter Flavor No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- 1 roll Pillsbury® refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup Hershey's® milk chocolate baking chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped Fisher® Lightly Salted, Dry Roasted Peanuts
- To make filling, in medium bowl, beat 1/2 cup whipping cream and powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla and peanut butter; beat on low speed just until blended, being careful not to overmix. Refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. In large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed, about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Break up cookie dough into eggs; beat on low speed until creamy. Add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat on low speed until blended.
- In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour mixture gradually to egg mixture, beating with electric mixer on medium speed, until blended. Add sour cream; beat on low speed until mixed. Divide batter evenly between pans.
- Bake 18 to 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake layers from pans onto cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make ganache, in small microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 1/4 cup whipping cream and chocolate chips on High 30 to 60 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Set aside.
- To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer, bottom side up, on serving plate. Spread peanut butter filling on top to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top with remaining cake layer, rounded side up. Spread ganache over cake, covering top and allowing ganache to run down side of cake. Sprinkle peanuts around top edge of cake. Refrigerate 1 hour. Store covered in refrigerator.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2012 / McCormick and the Mc logo are registered trademarks of McCormick & Company, Incorporated, used by permission. / LAND O LAKES is a registered trademark of Land O’Lakes, Inc. / Hershey’s® is a registered trademark of The Hershey Company, Hershey, PA, 17033 / Fisher® is a registered trademark of John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc. ©2012
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 220), Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 11g, Trans Fat 1.5g), Cholesterol 70mg, Sodium 360mg, Total Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 24g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.