Pecan-Crusted Catfish with White Cheddar Grits
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 45 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups finely ground pecans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (6 oz.) catfish fillets
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups stone-ground grits, or instant grits
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- MIX together flour, onion powder and salt in shallow dish. Whisk together eggs and milk in separate shallow dish. In a third shallow dish, mix thyme, pecans, salt and pepper.
- COAT each catfish fillet with flour mixture, then egg, then nuts, coating completely.
- BRING broth to a boil in a two-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to simmer. Whisk in grits; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Stir in cream, cheese, salt and pepper. While grits are cooking, cook fish.
- HEAT oil in a large, heavy skillet to 350ºF. Carefully place the catfish fillets into hot oil. Cook about 8 minutes, turning occasionally, until both sides are golden brown.
- DIVIDE grits between 4 large bowls. Top each with a catfish fillet. Garnish with sliced green onions and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 1190 (Calories from Fat 670), Total Fat 75g (Saturated Fat 14g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 240mg, Sodium 830mg, Total Carbohydrate 84g (Dietary Fiber 9g, Sugars 6g), Protein 50g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 25%, Iron 30%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.