Pineapple Coconut Cake
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 to 16 maraschino cherries, drained
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT sugar and shortening in bowl of electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and coconut extracts until blended. Combine flour and baking powder in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture alternately with milk, beating at low speed after each addition until well blended. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- BAKE 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- DRAIN 2 tablespoons juice from pineapple. Reserve remaining juice. Combine 2 tablespoons juice and cornstarch in small bowl. Stir to dissolve. Combine pineapple, reserved juice and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute or until mixture is thickened and clear. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, nuts and vanilla.
- USE large fork or skewer to poke holes in top of cake. Pour topping over cake, spreading to edges. Arrange cherries on top of cake so that when cake is cut, each slice will have cherry in center. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/12), Calories 620 (Calories from Fat 250), Total Fat 28g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 160mg, Total Carbohydrate 88g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 59g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.