- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 empanadas
- 12 ounces ground sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 recipes prepared Empanada Dough, chilled
- 1 large egg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon milk (optional)
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil (optional)
- COOK and crumble sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Place in medium bowl. Stir in red pepper, marinara sauce, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Cool completely. Fold in cheeses just until blended.
- DIVIDE Empanada Dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each on lightly floured surface into 6-inch circle. Brush edges with water. Spoon 1/4 cup sausage mixture onto each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Seal edges by pinching or pressing with fork.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Beat egg and milk in small bowl with fork until foamy. Brush over empanadas. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- HEAT 1 inch oil to 350°F in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook in batches, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 12 empanadas), Calories 330 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 540mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 4g), Protein 11g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.