Empanadas de Calabaza
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 20 empanadas
- 1 1/2 cups white corn masa flour
- 3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick)
- 1 large egg
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Magnolia® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Corn Oil
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- Dough: COMBINE masa flour, wheat flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter using pastry blender until pea-size chunks are formed. Add egg, and water by the tablespoon, to flour mixture, until dough comes together to form a ball. Rest dough for 10 minutes. Roll dough, half at a time, to 1/8-inch thickness between sheets of lightly floured wax paper. Cut with a floured 4-inch round cutter to make 20 circles.
- Filling: COMBINE pumpkin, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Stir in sweetened condensed milk, egg and vanilla. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon filling in the center of each dough circle. Fold in half. Crimp edges with fork to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Place empanadas on cookie sheet. Prick tops with tines of fork to vent. Brush empanadas with oil. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- TIP TO FRY: Heat corn oil, 2 to 3 inches deep, in deep-fryer (375°F) or 4-quart saucepan. Fry empanadas, 3 or 4 at a time in hot oil, turning once, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Roll empanadas while still warm in sugar mixture.
Magnolia is a trademark of Eagle Family Foods Group, LLC, used by permission.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 20 empanadas), Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 170mg, Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 7g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.