Quick and Easy Lefse
Lefse (LEF-suh) is a traditional soft Norwegian flat potato bread that is rolled very thin and cooked quickly on a hot dry griddle, similar to a Mexican tortilla. Mashed potato flakes are a convenient shortcut to this traditional recipe.
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 20 lefse
- 3 cups Hungry Jack® Instant Mashed Potato Flakes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- OR Pillsbury BEST™ Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- HEAT electric lefse griddle or electric skillet to highest temperature setting. DO NOT GREASE GRIDDLE OR SKILLET.
- MEASURE potato flakes into large bowl. Heat water, butter and salt in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add milk. Add liquid all at once to potato flakes, stirring until all flakes are moistened. Mixture will be crumbly.
- SPOON flour lightly into measuring cup. Level off. Gradually add flour to potato mixture, working with hands until soft dough forms and is of rolling consistency (avoid adding too much flour).
- SHAPE dough into a roll 10-inches long and about 2-inches in diameter. Cut roll into 1/2-inch slices. Cover with plastic wrap while rolling out each lefse.
- ROLL out 1 slice of dough on well-floured pastry cloth until paper thin (see tip). With lefse stick or long spatula, transfer to heated griddle. Bake 1 minute or until brown spots appear on bottom surface. Turn. Bake other side 30 to 45 seconds. Place baked lefse between damp cloth towels to prevent it from drying out. Repeat with remaining slices. Cool completely before storing in plastic bag.
- SERVE by spreading with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon or brown sugar. Fold into quarters or roll up.
- TIP For best results, use rolling pin covered with pastry stocking. Flour rolling pin and pastry cloth before rolling out each lefse. To freeze, wrap lefse in plastic and foil. Seal tightly.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/20 1 piece), Calories 60 (Calories from Fat 15), Total Fat 1.5g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.