Quick Sauerbraten with Caramelized Onions
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 200 min
- Ready Time: 240 min
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, divided
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (4 lb.) rolled rump roast, eye of round, top or bottom round
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (1 oz.) package meat tenderizing marinade
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can beef broth
- 1/3 cup finely crushed gingersnap crumbs (optional)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Melt 4 tablespoons shortening in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion slices; cook until golden brown.
- MELT 4 tablespoons shortening in roasting pan; brown roast on all sides.
- MIX cider vinegar, meat marinade, pickling spice, black pepper and beef broth in small bowl. Top meat with onions and marinade. Cover; braise in oven 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is fork-tender or reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, basting every hour.
- REMOVE roast from oven. Allow meat to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- STRAIN drippings to remove spices, reserving some of the onions if desired. Add water to drippings to measure 2 1/2 cups. Pour into saucepan, adding gingersnap crumbs, if desired; bring to a boil. Blend 1/2 cup cold water and flour in small bowl.
- REDUCE heat to simmer. Whisk flour mixture into drippings, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in reserved onions, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Carve roast; serve with gravy.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 680 (Calories from Fat 350), Total Fat 38g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 140mg, Sodium 1380mg, Total Carbohydrate 13g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 4g), Protein 67g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 4%, Iron 35%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.