Raspberry-Laced Vanilla Cake
- Prep Time: 55 min
- Cook Time: 23 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 3 cups Pillsbury® Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened or slightly melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons clear imitation or regular vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) jar Smucker's® Seedless Red Raspberry Jam, divided (1 cup)
- Fresh raspberries (optional)
RASPBERRY CREAM FROSTING
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon clear imitation or regular vanilla extract
- 7 1/2 cups powdered sugar, (2 pounds)
- 1 cup Smucker's® Red Raspberry Syrup
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans generously with baking spray with flour. Stir together cake flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in small bowl. Beat 1 1/2 cups butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until blended. Beat in eggs, milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until thoroughly blended. Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- BAKE 19 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
- BEAT 2 cups butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar and syrup; mix until well blended.
- LEVEL cake layers as necessary. Cut each cake horizontally to make two layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup raspberry jam to within 1/4 inch of edge. Top with the other half of layer, cut side down. Spread with 1/2 cup raspberry cream frosting. Repeat layers twice, using remaining cake and jam and 1 cup of the remaining frosting. Frost the sides of cake. Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a coupler and a #4 decorating tip. Pipe frosting on top of cake in a lattice pattern. Using a #21 decorating tip, decorate top edge and base of cake as desired. Chill cake to set frosting. Allow cake to stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with raspberries, if desired.
- TIP High Altitude (above 3500 feet): Heat oven to 375°F. Decrease butter in cake batter to 1 cup.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 1220 (Calories from Fat 500), Total Fat 56g (Saturated Fat 35g, Trans Fat 1.5g), Cholesterol 215mg, Sodium 560mg, Total Carbohydrate 162g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 130g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.