Red Velvet Cake
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 100 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch round layer pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer; beat until light and fluffy. Combine cocoa and food coloring in 1-cup measure, stirring until smooth. Blend into shortening mixture.
- ADD buttermilk, flour, baking soda and salt. Beat at low speed until blended, scraping bowl constantly. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pans.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes, or until center springs back when touched lightly. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely. Frost with your favorite white frosting.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 540 (Calories from Fat 220), Total Fat 24g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 230mg, Total Carbohydrate 75g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 55g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.