Red Velvet Pinwheel Sandwich Cookies
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 3 dozen
- 1 (17.5 oz.) Pillsbury® Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red food color
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- White decorator sugar
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can Pillsbury® Easy Frost™ Velvety Cream Cheese Flavored No-Fuss Frosting
- OR 1 (16 oz.) container Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese Flavored Frosting
- COMBINE cookie mix, butter and egg in medium bowl until soft dough forms. Divide dough in half.
- WHISK together milk and red food color in small bowl. Blend in cocoa. Work chocolate mixture into one-half of dough with wooden spoon until evenly distributed. Divide both halves in half again to make 4 parts. Roll each one between sheets of wax paper, coated with no-stick cooking spray, into 10 x 8-inch rectangles. Place flat layers of dough with wax paper on top of each other on cookie sheet. Chill 15 minutes.
- REMOVE one sheet of wax paper from sheets of dough. Turn one light layer upside down onto one dark layer aligning corners. Remove wax paper from light layer. Allow dough to soften slightly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beginning on long side, roll up dough to make a rounded log, making sure the first roll in the center is tight. Roll wax paper around log. Repeat with remaining 2 sheets of dough. Freeze 1 hour.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Cut logs into 1/4-inch slices. Place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until just lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Apply frosting in a thin layer on bottom side of half the cookies. Place another cookie, bottom side down, on top of frosting layer to make sandwich cookies.
- TIP Keep second log in freezer until ready to bake. Return to freezer as needed to make slicing easier.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cookie of 36), Calories 130 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 115mg, Total Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 14g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.