Saucy Apple Cake
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Ready Time: 135 min
- Yield: 15 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (16 oz.) jar apple sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup apple juice, apple cider or water
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- 1 cup coarsely grated, peeled Golden Delicious apples, about 1 large apple
- Powdered sugar
- Reserved 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch (12-cup) fluted tube pan or tube pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, almond extract, cinnamon and nutmeg in bowl of electric mixer. Beat at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 3 to 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- COMBINE flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup applesauce for topping.
- ADD remaining applesauce and apple juice to shortening mixture alternately with flour mixture, beating at low speed after each addition, until well blended. Stir in nuts and apple with spoon. Spoon into pan.
- BAKE 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- PLACE cake, fluted side up, on wire rack. Cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- FOLD reserved 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon into whipped topping. Place spoonful on each serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/15 of cake), Calories 470 (Calories from Fat 210), Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 380mg, Total Carbohydrate 59g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 38g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.