- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 2 to 3 dozen appetizers
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped ham
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked corn beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can sauerkraut, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for frying
- HEAT 3 tablespoons oil in saucepan. Add onion and cook over low heat 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add ham, corned beef and garlic. Cook until heated through.
- MIX 6 tablespoons flour with dry mustard and stir into meat mixture until well blended. Add sauerkraut, parsley and beef broth. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture forms a thick paste. Spread in shallow pan. Cover and chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
- SHAPE mixture into 1-inch balls. Beat 1 1/4 cups flour, milk and egg in a medium bowl until smooth. Dip balls into batter. Roll in bread crumbs.
- HEAT shortening to 375ºF. in deep saucepan or deep fryer. Fry 2 minutes or until well browned and hot in center.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 popper), Calories 150 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.