Spicy Buttermilk Battered Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 pounds meaty chicken pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Crisco® Pure Canola Oil, for frying
- WHISK together buttermilk and hot pepper sauce in shallow baking dish. Add chicken pieces. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- STIR together flour, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in separate baking dish. Toss chicken pieces in seasoned flour, a few at a time, until well coated. Dip chicken in buttermilk, then coat again in flour mixture.
- POUR oil to a depth of 1-inch in large heavy skillet. Heat oil to 350ºF. Add chicken pieces in a single layer, skin side down. Fry about 4 minutes. Turn over. Fry the other side about 4 minutes. Turn again, frying a total of about 15 minutes until chicken is evenly golden brown and crisp and juices run clear. Remove cooked chicken from pan. Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 630 (Calories from Fat 330), Total Fat 37g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 135mg, Sodium 1070mg, Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 40g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.