Spicy Chocolate Bars
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 36 bars
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/8 tsp., divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13 x 9-inch pan lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE shortening and granulated sugar in large bowl; beat on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs. Blend in applesauce, chocolate and vanilla.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture, beating on low speed until well blended. Stir in nuts. Spread in baking pan.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and enough milk (about 4 teaspoons) to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over slightly warm bars. Cool. Cut into bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 bar of 36), Calories 100 (Calories from Fat 45), Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 50mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 10g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.