Spicy Currant Bar Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 80 min
- Yield: 48 bar cookies
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups dried currants
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, melted and cooled
- OR 1 tablespoon Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat a 15 x 10 x 2-inch baking pan lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
- MELT shortening in large saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in orange juice.
- COMBINE flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture on low speed until well blended. Fold in currants and coconut. Spread evenly in prepared baking pan.
- BAKE 18 to 20 minutes.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, orange juice, grated orange peel and shortening in small bowl. Mix until smooth. Spread orange frosting evenly over warm bars. Cool. Cut into bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 bar of 48), Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 45), Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 75mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 14g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 0%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.