Spicy Onion Cheese Wafers
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 3 dozen
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 4 to 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- Sea salt to taste
- HEAT oven to 375ºF.
- COMBINE onion with 1 tablespoon water in small dish. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine flour, salt, cayenne, cheddar and Parmesan cheese in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in onion mixture. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing with fork until particles are moistened and cling together. Form dough into ball.
- ROLL dough on a lightly floured surface into a 2-inch diameter log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for one hour. Remove wrap and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt to taste. Place slices on ungreased baking sheet.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool. Store in covered container.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 wafer), Calories 70 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 85mg, Total Carbohydrate 4g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.