Spicy Traditional Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 45 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 (3 lb.) package cut up broiler-fryer chicken (8 pieces)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
- 2 cups plain crispy panko bread crumbs
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, or your favorite variety of Crisco Oil for frying
- COMBINE flour, seasoned salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and shake to blend evenly.
- WHISK eggs and cayenne pepper sauce in shallow bowl until blended. Add chicken pieces to flour mixture, one or two pieces at a time, shaking bag to coat completely. After all 8 chicken pieces are coated, add bread crumbs to remaining flour mixture in bag. Seal bag and shake to blend ingredients. Place crumb mixture in shallow dish.
- DIP chicken pieces in egg mixture, then into bread crumb mixture to coat. Let stand on wire rack 10 minutes to set coating.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Heat 1/2-inch deep oil to 350°F in large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 chicken breast halves and cook, uncovered, over medium heat 4 minutes. Turn chicken and cook an additional 4 minutes or until golden brown. Place chicken breasts on rack in baking pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature reads 170°F. Meanwhile, add remaining chicken pieces to hot oil. Cook 6 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 6 minutes. Continue cooking and turning chicken about 3 minutes, until deep golden brown. Remove individual pieces when internal temperature reaches 180°F. Drain on wire rack.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 750 (Calories from Fat 350), Total Fat 39g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 245mg, Sodium 2270mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g), Protein 54g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.