Spinach-Cheese Balls with Pasta Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 35 to 40 balls
- 1 (9 oz.) box Green Giant® frozen spinach
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
- 3/4 cup Progresso® Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 (25.5 oz.) jar Muir Glen® organic garden vegetable pasta sauce, heated
- REMOVE frozen spinach from pouch; place in colander. Rinse with warm water until thawed; drain well. Squeeze spinach dry with paper towel.
- MIX egg, both cheeses, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, sour cream, oil and ricotta cheese in large bowl until well blended. Add spinach to cheese mixture; mix well. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time, until well blended.
- FILL a 10-inch skillet half full with oil; heat over medium heat until candy/deep-fry thermometer reads 350°F (or use deep fryer, add oil to fill line and heat to 350°F).
- PLACE bread crumbs in small bowl. Shape spinach-cheese mixture into 1-1/2 inch balls (about 40), using about 1-1/2 tablespoons for each; roll in bread crumbs and place on cookie sheet.
- FRY 6 balls at a time for 4 to 6 minutes, turning as necessary, until golden brown. With slotted spoon, remove balls from skillet; place on paper towels to drain. Cool 2 minutes before serving; serve with warm pasta sauce for dipping.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/35 of recipe), Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 10%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.