- Prep Time: 50 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 package Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Yellow Premium Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (16 oz.) can Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Flavored Frosting
- 1 (12-inch) strip chewy fruit snack roll by the foot
- 1/3 cup Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Milk Chocolate Flavored Frosting
- 1/2 can Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Flavored Frosting
- Assorted food coloring as desired
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray. Prepare and bake cake as directed on package, using water, oil and eggs. Cool in pan 30 minutes. Invert onto wire rack to remove from pan. Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
- PLACE cake on serving platter or foil-covered cardboard. With serrated knife, cut line crosswise down center of cake, 1/2 inch deep. Make angled cut, 1 inch wide, from each side of center cut to resemble center of book. Remove cut pieces of cake; reserve for another use. Frost cake with vanilla frosting. (If a colored background is desired, use food color to tint vanilla frosting.)
- TRIM one end of fruit snack roll strip to resemble ribbon bookmark; place in center of book. Apply Frosting Picture to each page of book.
- CHOOSE simple line drawing from your child's artwork or coloring book, to fit top of cake (if necessary, enlarge or shrink image with copier to fit cake). Tape image to cookie sheet. Tape sheet of waxed or parchment paper over image.
- PLACE milk chocolate frosting in resealable food storage bag, filling no more than 1/3 full; seal bag. Cut tiny hole in bottom corner of bag. Squeeze bag to pipe frosting over outlines in drawing, refilling bag if needed. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 10 minutes.
- DIVIDE vanilla frosting into resealable food storage bags, one for each color needed. Tint with food coloring as desired.
- REMOVE cookie sheet from freezer. Cut small hole in bottom corner of each bag of frosting. Fill in image with colored or white frosting, going over top of outlines made. (Remember, image is upside down; you are working on the back.) Add additional frosting to back until image is about 1/2 inch thick. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 30 to 40 minutes or until frosting is completely frozen. (Do not freeze longer than 90 minutes or colors will run when thawed.)
- REMOVE tape from cookie sheet. Flip frosting picture onto Storybook Cake. Carefully peel off waxed paper.
High Altitude (above 3500 ft.):
- SEE cake mix package for directions.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 520 (Calories from Fat 200), Total Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 3.5g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 79g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 41g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.