Surprise Carrot Cake
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 1/4 cups Pillsbury™ Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice or ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups (1 pound) powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans generously with no-stick cooking spray with flour. Combine cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and allspice in medium bowl. Combine mayonnaise, eggs and crushed pineapple with juice in large bowl. Add flour mixture; beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in carrots and pecans. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- BAKE 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
- BEAT cream cheese, butter and vanilla in bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add milk by tablespoonful until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency.
- PLACE one cake layer, topside down, on serving plate. Spread with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, topside up. Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 450 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 420mg, Total Carbohydrate 70g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 52g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.