Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 30 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Smucker's® Red Plum Jam
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- DRAIN tomatoes, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Set drained tomatoes aside. Blend reserved juice, plum jam, vinegar, sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, soy sauce and bouillon granules in small bowl.
- BLEND water, flour, 1/3 cup cornstarch, salt, garlic powder and pepper in medium bowl. Add chicken. Stir to coat.
- HEAT 2 to 3 inches oil in large saucepan to 350ºF. Remove several pieces chicken from batter with slotted spoon. Add to oil. Fry 3 to 4 minutes, or until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- RESERVE 2 tablespoons oil in saucepan. Discard remaining oil. Add green pepper and onion to saucepan. Stir-fry over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato juice mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- STIR in pineapple chunks, cooked chicken and reserved drained tomatoes. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with rice.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 590 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 1140mg, Total Carbohydrate 93g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 38g), Protein 18g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 90%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.