Vanilla Cake With Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 9 to 12 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1 oz.) squares semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 tablespoon Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8x8x2-inch pan lightly with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla in medium bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add buttermilk, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat at low speed until blended, scraping bowl constantly. Beat at medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 32 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- PLACE chocolate and shortening in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds more or until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Blend in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk to desired consistency, beating until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/9 of cake), Calories 320 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 190mg, Total Carbohydrate 52g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 37g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.