Baking Powder Biscuits
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 30 min
- Yield: 14 Biscuits
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- HEAT oven to 450°F. COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl; mix well. With pastry blender or fork, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stirring with fork, add enough milk until mixture leaves sides of bowl and forms a soft, moist dough.
- TOSS dough lightly on floured surface until no longer sticky. Roll or press dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- BAKE 8 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
- TIP FOOD PROCESSOR DIRECTIONS: In food processor bowl with metal blade, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Process with 5 on/off pulses to mix. Add shortening to flour mixture. Process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk; process with on/off pulses just until ball starts to form. On lightly floured surface, roll or press dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-inch round cutter. Continue as directed above.
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS: Add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to flour. Substitute buttermilk for milk.
- CHEESE BISCUITS: Add 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese to flour-shortening mixture. Bake on cookie sheet sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
- DROP BISCUITS: Increase milk to 1 1/4 cups. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- SOFT-SIDED BISCUITS: Place biscuits in 9-inch round or square pan or on cookie sheet with sides touching. Bake at 450°F for 12 to 14 minutes.
High Altitude (above 3500 ft.):
- No change.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 biscuit), Calories 130 (Calories from Fat 70), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 190mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.