Gluten Free* Lemon Meringue Pie
*Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 200 min
- Yield: One 9-inch pie 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Prepare single pie crust according to recipe directions, using 9-inch pie plate. Flute top edge of crust. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Bake for 17 to 19 minutes or until golden.
- REDUCE oven temperature to 350°F.
- For Filling: WHISK sugar, cornstarch, salt and water in medium saucepan on medium, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Pour 1/3 of hot mixture into beaten eggs. Mix well. Return egg mixture to saucepan. Bring mixture to boil stirring constantly. Boil one minute. Remove from heat. Add butter, lemon peel and lemon juice. Stir until smooth. Pour into baked pie crust.
- For Meringue: STIR 2 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch and water in small saucepan until cornstarch dissolves. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture is clear. Remove from heat. Cool. Beat egg whites and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at time. Beat well after each addition. Mix in cooled cornstarch mixture and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over lemon filling covering completely, sealing to edge of crust. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Refrigerate.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 470 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 125mg, Sodium 290mg, Total Carbohydrate 74g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 51g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.