Red, White and Blue Ombre Cake
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 packages Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Classic White Premium Cake Mix
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 8 large egg whites
- Red and blue food color
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 containers Pillsbury™ Fluffy Frost™ Vanilla Marshmallow Flavored Frosting
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 5 (8-inch) round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Blend cake mixes, water, oil and eggs whites in large bowl until moistened. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- DIVIDE batter evenly into 5 small bowls. Tint one bowl with 25 drops blue food color and 2 drops red food color. Tint second bowl with 10 drops blue. Tint third bowl with 10 drops red. Tint fourth bowl with 30 drops red and cocoa powder. Leave batter in the fifth bowl white, without additional coloring. Spread each batter into a prepared pan.
- BAKE 30 to 34 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Level cakes using a serrated knife.
- TINT one container of frosting with 20 drops blue food color and one container with 20 drops red food color. Place darkest blue cake on serving plate. Frost top with 1/2 cup blue frosting. Top with lighter blue cake layer. Frost top with 1/2 cup white frosting. Top with white cake layer. Frost top with 1/2 cup white frosting. Top with lighter red cake layer. Frost top with 1/2 cup red frosting. Top with darkest red layer.
- FROST lower third of cake with remaining blue frosting, middle third with remaining white frosting and top third with remaining red frosting. Smooth frosting with cake comb* to smooth blend colors.
- TIP Cake combs can be found at your local craft store.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 580 (Calories from Fat 250), Total Fat 28g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 4g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 450mg, Total Carbohydrate 82g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 61g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.