- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Ready Time: 30 min
- 3 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- COMBINE 2 cups flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, buttermilk, 1/4 cup shortening, eggs and vanilla; beat at low speed until blended.
- BEAT at medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour. Chill several hours or overnight.
- DIVIDE dough in half. Sprinkle lightly with flour. Roll each half to slightly less than 1/2-inch thickness on well-floured board. Cut with floured 2 3/4 to 3-inch doughnut cutter. Reserve doughnut holes.
- HEAT 2 inches oil to 375°F in deep fryer or deep saucepan. Fry a few doughnuts at a time, 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown.
- FRY doughnut holes 1 to 1 1/2 minutes total time. Drain on paper towels. Serve plain; dip tops in glaze or cool and shake with powdered sugar in food storage bag.
- COMBINE powdered sugar and water in small bowl; stir until smooth. Dip tops of doughnuts in glaze. Invert on wire racks until glaze is set.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 doughnut), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 180mg, Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 18g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.